Tonight's scrimmage was filled with both good and bad things. The good:
1. I hit the opposing jammer a few times. I also made the attempt a few more times, but missed. This is a vast improvement on last week's scrimmage where I only tried to hit someone once. Hooray!
2. I booty blocked members of the opposing team a few times. I didn't hold them for very long, but I consciously said "get in her way!" and did so. HUGE improvement over last week, when I know I had the opposing jammer behind me, but didn't do much about it. Hooray again!
3. We only had nine people on our team, so I skated in about half of the jams. It was exhausting as hell, but it was great to have so many chances to improve on the jam before. Triple hooray!
1. I gave the single worst whip of my life that resulted in both my left arm and my team's jammer getting sandwiched in between roughly half of the opposing team. That was pretty cringe-worthy, and it hurt like a bitch.
2. I took my first trip to the box. However, that's not too bad, because it means I was playing more aggressively. I suppose this could fall under "good" too...
3. I took a fall during which my legstriedto do the right thing (fall on my knees) but I slipped on something and my right leg went in two directions at once. Something popped in my knee. I don't know how bad it is, but I couldn't really walk well on it. Yes, I will be going to the doctor tomorrow.
So, while I'm proud of what I did, I'm really concerned about my knee. I know that the "pop" I felt was serious - I've sprained my ankle enough times to know a sprain when I feel one. I wouldn't be half so concerned if this were an isolated incident.... this is the knee with really bad tendonitis. Since coming back from breaking my tailbone, it's been grinding really badly, and over the past three weeks it's felt "loose". I'm really worried that this was coming, with or without the fall.
I just hope I'll be off skates for, say, a few weeks to a month or two. I think it's a possibility that I'm looking at more time than that, and I'll be so upset if that's the case....
Dash was right. I really do need to find (and take out) the person holding the little Dread voodoo doll before he or she does me some serious damage. I just want to play roller derby, godammit. I'll wait as long as I have to, but this injury crap is really starting to piss me off.
In summation, this is how I feel today, with God/Zeus/Odin/whatever as the pidgeon and the sad little boy as me: